Thursday, May 17, 2007

Savanna Cafe



An impromptu dinner club was held this past friday at the downtown savanna cafe, soon to be celebrating 20 (or is it 30) awesome years of service. Any semi-exotic restaurant that can survive that long is doing something right, and that was evidenced on friday night.

I won't cover all the details, i'll just give a few highlights.

While we longed for a patio, the weather did not cooperate as it was a wee bit chilly. We did get to sit outside while our table readied, sipping cocktails and smoking happily - well most of us were happy, one of our poor saps spilt his funky martini, which the server gladly replaced. High points from this here club.

Once seated, we ordered more booze, and then apps, and then the mains. I kinda like the chance to order apps, and then order the mains a little while later... it leaves you longing a little bit, knowing you've still got a big decision to make. Or maybe i don't like it, i dunno. One dude ordered the soup, i can't remember what was in it, but it was brothy and tom gummy, and o so good. I had the shrimp chips which had a very tasty peanut sauce to boot, and they were great. The mussels were so so in my opinion, a little dried out.

For my main i had the mahi special, and it was good but not uberawesome. Everyone else absolutely loved there food (if not, speak up!) especially the stuffed chicken (can't remember the name), it was apparently the bomb.

To finish it off, i had the banana cheesecake, and while i didn't taste a lot of banana, it was damn darn good. After dinner i went home and fell asleep, with all energy expended on the good food, good chats, and good times that was savanna cafe. An ire 8/10.

2 comments:

Danissimo! said...

That sap who spilled his martini was I. The prompt refil was most appreciated and the service was spectacular, I believe we had two servers.
I am in love with the Savanna Cafe and want to make sweet, sweet love to that place everyday. I had the Cabana chicken which was so damn good that it brought a tear to my eye on every bite, its basically chicken stuffed with banana, sour cream and orange sauce. I am about to give my highest rating yet...8.5 high fives out of 10 for sure, this place can have my first born for more Cabana Chicken any time. The service was friendly and well educated on thier meals, and hell...they brought me another martini because I was stupid enough to spill my first, I love you Savana Cafe, and now Im going to have to sleep on the couch for a week just for offering myself to you for more of your lovely chicken. Thank you for rocking so hard.

Danissimo! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.