Monday, June 18, 2007

phnom phen

Restaurant's site is here, and little did i know a review of it from express is here.

We hit up this interesting little noodle house tucked in the semi sketch part of wellington, between chinatown and westboro a week or so ago (we're damn slow at updating this site, but i don't like seeing things die). I'm not gonna babble, but in a nutshell it was a glorified pho joint with a massive menu, good cambodian beer, and deep fried mango. But in all, i'm giving it 6.5/10... it was tasty, the service was great, but lacks the pizazz, spunk, or gotcha that a good dcfd venue requires.

The pics are a little weird, but you should be able to get the jist.

Phad Thai:

Vermicelli with tofu:

Fried vermicelli, udon in the distance.
Beeramid of angkor, a great cambodian beer:

3 comments:

Danissimo! said...

I must post my comment on this one. First off, I agree, this place was like a cambodian Denny's, lots of food, buy no pizzaz. We actually drank ALL of thier specialized beer (the beeramid picture) and had to settle for Korean stuff, blah. But because the service was so fast and friendly I am going to give this place a 5.5 high fives out of 10. I do want to find more sugar can though, gotta love that sugar can.

Jeni said...

While the service was fairly good here, I have to say the food seemed to be your regular variety of Cambodian/Vietnamese fare. My tofu dish was a bit of a let-down as I was hoping there would be more veggies stir-fried with the tofu, and at that, the tofu was a little rubbery. Mmmm, rubber. And, I think Dan is referring to sugar canE, not sugar can.... or cans of sugar. ;) At least they accomodate a big group easily.

Tanya said...

What a great little spot! My entrée was satisfying, however I can still recall there being something odd about the chicken in the rice wrap appetizer I had. Perhaps it's just me, but something tasted off, and to this day I only order the shrimp rice wraps, no matter where I go. Still, fair prices, fair meal, could use a touch more ambiance as I kind'a felt like we were in a cafeteria, however I'm not knocking it. 7/10