Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Jak's Kitchen

Several Fridays ago, the good folks at DCFD decided a visit to Jak's Kitchen was in order. Some of us had been going there mostly for brunch ever since the change over from Stoneface Dolly's occurred, and realized an outing amongst our elite group was warranted. The food and decor have been on a journey from what Stoneface Dolly's was, and has now become something of their own (imo). I am no longer skeptical but delighted about the switchover, I have since embraced their arrival, and hope for them to last a long long time.







Shortly after we arrived, we were greeted with a feast of some experimental appetizers. Delicious! Smoked salmon wrapping endive, cilantro enfused delicious pate (not a big fan, but this was soooo good), their homemade focaccio slivers and chunks, amongst a few other things. We decided on red wine, made a selection, but were suggested another bold Malbec called "Kaiken Ultra". This wine exploded from the glass, and placed a beautiful haze over the whole evening.

After the pre-appetizers and wine were decided, the proper appetizers ranged from perfectly cooked mussels, and soups, to every tapas choice on the menu. Everything was well presented and delicious. If i recall correctly, the bacon stuffed pork loin was the special, and apparently very tasty (someone correct me on this please!). I stuck to their pasta special, a very spicy pasta dish, and while not exceptional, was definitely memorable (almost too spicy for my pastas taste).

Dessert was delicious, coffee excellent, but unfortnately for me i was the last to arrive and first to leave. I ate *way* too much, and for me to leave a restaurant that wasn't a buffet saying that says a lot. Of course, no one forced me, but when its that good i have a hard time saying no.

I hope Jak's sticks around for a while, it truly is a gem in ottawa, and i look forward to many more delectable meals there.

O, for me, 9/10.

No comments: